Apple and Pear Chips
In the fall, when apples and pears are at their peak, here is a great way of taking advantage of the abundance.
1-2 apples, sliced very thinly (core and peel included)
1 ripe (but not too ripe) pear, sliced very thinly (core and peel included)
1. Preheat oven to 250° Fahrenheit (approx. 125° Celsius).
2. Wash the apples and pears and slice them very thinly. Try to keep the slices of equal thickness so that they dry at the same rate.
3. Place baking parchment on a baking tray. Lay the apple and pear slices flat on the parchment. Try to keep the sides of the slices from touching.
4. Sprinkle cinnamon over the slices.
5. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for about 2-3 hours, flipping the chips after about 1 or 1.5 hours.
6. When the chips are dried to your taste, remove them from the oven and allow them to cool to room temperature. Enjoy!
7. Store in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator to keep them fresh. But, if your family is anything like mine, the chips will disappear quickly.
Note: If the pear is overripe, it will take much longer to dry in the oven due to its higher water concentration. Try to find a pear on the cusp of ripeness.