Broccoli Summer Slaw *
I love broccoli. When I lived in the United States, I would buy only the crowns because I would just throw the big stem away anyway. Here in Germany, I can’t find just the crowns. I decided I was tired of wasting so much of the broccoli that I paid for, so I decided to find something to do with the tender light green inside of those thick broccoli stems. Just be sure to cut off the hard outer layer first.
1 lg. stem from a broccoli head
4 baby carrots or one large carrot cut
1/3 Granny Smith apple
1 Tbsp. honey
2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp. olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Cut the tough outer green off the broccoli stem, then julienne into 3-inch strips. (Store in refrigerator if you need to go take care of the baby.)
2. Julienne the carrot(s) into 3-inch strips, or grate. (Store in refrigerator if you need to go take care of the baby.)
3. Remove the peel from the apple and then julienne or grate. Combine broccoli, carrots, and apple into one bowl. (Store in refrigerator if you need to go take care of the baby.)
4. In a small cup, whisk together the oil, vinegar, and honey, then pour over the slaw mix.
5. Chill in the refrigerator until needed. Stir to mix before serving.
* - Can be made in short bursts of attention throughout a day.