Mediterranean-Style Baked Catfish *
1 lb. catfish fillets
1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 oz.), liquid reserved
1 cup fresh baby spinach leaves
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 tsp. oregano
salt & pepper to taste
Optional: 1 small lemon, thinly sliced (discard ends)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Pour reserved liquid from tomatoes into a 10-inch x 8-inch glass or ceramic baking dish.
3. Add garlic slices and distribute evenly.
4. Layer baby spinach leaves on top of tomato liquid and garlic slices. (This can sit for a while if baby needs you at this point.)
5. Set catfish in a single layer on top of spinach.
6. Add diced tomatoes and distribute evenly on top of catfish.
7. Sprinkle oregano over top of tomatoes and add salt and pepper to taste. (Optional: cover with a layer of thinly-sliced lemons.)
8. Cover baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until fish is opaque and flakes easily with a fork. (Discard lemon slices before serving.)
9. Serve with steamed rice or orzo pasta.
* - Recipe can be done in a couple of short bursts of time during the course of a day.