Basic Chili *
This is a very basic recipe for chili. I've included some optional ingredients if you like to make things interesting. Since you might want some carbs to make this a truly filling meal, I recommend making spaghetti noodles (confirm on package there are no soy ingredients), for a near-Cincinnati-style chili. The variations are endless. You can cook this in a big pot on the stove, or in a slow cooker (crock pot).
For the basic chili:
1 lb. ground beef
2 cans (28 oz/each for a total 56 oz) diced tomatoes
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste, for thickening
2 green peppers
1 sweet pepper (red, yellow or orange)
1 onion, chopped
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp dried garlic
salt to taste
1-2 Hungarian wax peppers, seeded-halved-sliced
1 jalepeno pepper, halved & sliced
1/4 cup vermouth or dry red wine
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
1 can (14 oz) red kidney beans, or other beans
1 tbsp paprika
1. Get out your chili pot or slow cooker and a skillet.
2. Cook the ground beef in the skillet, drain fat, put in chili pot/slow cooker.
3. Add all of the diced tomatoes to the chili pot. (start cooking on low if baby needs you at this point)
4. Cut onion and peppers as you find the time. Add to chili.
5. Add chili powder, garlic and salt. (add optional ingredients at this point)
6. Add tomato paste, stir in well.
7. Cook for 3-hrs or until vegetables are soft. If using a slow cooker, set it on low for 7 hours.
* - Recipe can be done in short bursts of time during the course of a day.