Beef Stew *
1 lb. lean stew beef, cubed
1-2 tbs. olive oil
2 lg carrots or 15 baby carrots cut into 1-in. pieces
1 sm. onion, chopped to suit
2 med. russet or red potatoes, cut into 1-in. pieces
2 cloves garlic, minced or sliced
12 oz. beer (optional)
salt & pepper to taste
optional herbs: tarragon, thyme
2. Skillet cook the cubed beef early in the day (5-7 mins.) with 1-2 tbs. olive oil.
3. Put cooked meat in crock pot (@ 300-degrees) or stew pot. Add beer if using and add water to just cover the meat. If you are cooking in a stew pot on the stove, turn burner on low.
(If baby needs you at this point, you are now free to run & change a diaper or nurse.)
4. Cut vegetables as you find the time. Add to already-cooking meat.
5. Add salt & pepper when you get a chance.
6. Add herbs towards the end.
7. Stew can cook as little as 1-hr after the vegetables have been added. The longer the stew cooks, of course, the softer the veggies and the more tender the beef will be.
* - Recipe can be done in short bursts of time during the course of a day.