Curried Zucchini Fritters
I've substituted crushed water table crackers (such as Carr's) for the breadcrumbs because water crackers (typically) contain no milk or soy. The curry livens it up.
About 1 lb. zucchini, grated (approx 3-4 cups)
⅔ c. water crackers, coarsely ground
1 large egg
¼ c. flour
½ cup olive oil
1 tsp. curry powder
ground black pepper
1. Set grated zucchini in a colander over a bowl. Salt the zucchini and mix well. Let sit for about 10 minutes.
2. Coarsely grind the water crackers (instead of using bread crumbs) by putting them in a ziplock plastic bag on top of a cutting board & crushing them with a rolling pin. Do not worry about making the crumbs very fine. Larger pieces will add texture to the fritters.
3. Whisk egg in a large bowl with ½ tsp. sea salt, ½ tsp. ground black pepper.
4. Squeeze any remaining water out of the zucchini and add the zucchini to the egg.
5. To the egg/zucchini mixture, stir in the crushed water crackers, flour and curry powder. Mix well.
6. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
7. Drop dollops of fritter batter into hot oil using a large soup spoon and lightly flatten. (You will need to make several small batches of approximately 5 fritters each.) Cook for about 4 minutes on each side.
8. Place cooked fritters onto a paper towel-lined plate as they are finished.
9. Serve hot and enjoy!