Ham Soup *
This soup can be made either in a big soup pot or in a slow cooker, depending on the size of your ham bone.
1 ham bone (best if there's still some meat & fat on it)
3 medium potatoes, washed & cubed
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup baby carrots, halved
1 large clove of garlic, sliced
½ tsp. tarragon
½ tsp. thyme
salt & pepper to taste
broad or wide egg noodles (Giant brand doesn't contain milk/soy ingredients, but confirm your brand)
1. Put ham bone in large soup pot. Add enough water to completely cover the bone. Put on stove over medium heat and cover. Alternatively, use a slow cooker (crock pot).
2. Wash & cut vegetables and garlic. Add to pot. (you can pause here if baby needs you)
3. Add spices, stir gently. Reduce heat to low simmer. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for at least four hours. If using a slow cooker, set to high and cook for about five hours.
4. Gently remove ham bone and set on plate. Note, bones may fall apart, so be aware of the potential for bones in the soup. (you can pause here if baby needs you)
5. Remove any meat remaining on the bone and add the salvaged meat back into the soup.
6. Serve with cooked broad or wide egg noodles and enjoy!
* - Recipe can be done in short bursts of time during the course of a day.