Squash Soup *
This soup is hearty enough for a meal, but I recommend it as a side dish to go with simple baked chicken or fish.
1 lb. cut butternut squash
32 oz. carton vegetarian vegetable broth (confirm that it is milk-free and soy-free)
½ c. pumpkin puree (confirm it is pure pumpkin puree)
½ onion, chopped
½ tsp. curry powder
¼ tsp. ground ginger
dash of cinnamon
salt & pepper to taste
1. Put butternut squash into a soup pot, pour vegetable broth over the squash and set burner on high.
2. Stir in pumpkin puree. Bring to boil.
3. Cut onion, add to soup pot, stir, and reduce heat to medium. (you can pause here if baby needs you.)
4. Add curry powder, ginger, cinnamon, salt & pepper. Stir and reduce to simmer. Cover. Allow to simmer for about 25 minutes. (you can pause here if baby needs you.)
5. Once the squash has softened, begin mashing it in the pot using the back of a large spoon.
6. Once the soup is the consistency you want, it is ready.
* - Recipe can be done in short bursts of time.